Tuesday, September 2, 2014

coloRADo...more memories

Time marches on my friends, and as a wise man once said, "Don't fear the beaver".  Actually I said that, because one year while I was at the Hammer's cabin in Bear Lake a beaver literally swam up to my friend Ben and bit him on the hand.  I couldn't make this stuff up.  Anyhow, every year I go to Bear Lake with my family, and each year I must yell that to each family member as they enter the lake.  It has really helped everyone stay calm and collected as they go forth into the treacherous waters.

My girl Nettie and her boys came to see us!  Yes!  I love family time.  I truly have the best sisters in the world.  They are full of positivity and they know how to play hard and work hard.  I had been missing my handsome nephews as well, so it was just what the doctor ordered.  I started the week with big plans, but the rain came down and floods came up.  Okay, there was no flooding, and no one washed away, but it did limit our activities a little.  We made it over to Chatfield Resevoir which is just a hop, skip and jump away from our house.  We went to the public swimming area of the reservoir, but it almost seemed like it was a swimming pond for geese, and they may or may not make room for humans.  The reservoir was absolutely beautiful, but the geese poop was um how do I say this.....everywhere.  Yep that is a good word.  I love a good goose, but this was ridiculous.  I may send a letter to the parks committee and let them know that the geese are over fertilizing the ground, and in turn are ruining our flip flops.  Not to mention the fact that they were ready to take a granola bar right out of James P Farthing's (my nephew's nickname) hand.  Poop is one thing, theft is another. Back off geese.  I would like to find a place to paddle board over there though.

Nettie took the kiddos swimming while I registered my kids for school, and then I spent a few thousand hours with the cable man trying to get our house set up.  Remember when you had a net zero dial up account?  I don't know how we did it.  Not having internet for three weeks was quite difficult.  Phone books, paper bank statements, stationary for letters all became valuable again. What a trip! We survived three weeks without you Mark Zuckerberg.  FACE!

Friday afternoon we headed over to Casa Bonita.  Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.  So picture that Mayan restaurant that the Larry H Miller group tore down in Sandy, but with 1/4 the budget.  It was the same brave 17 year old kid that would climb the rocks and make the dives, after which he would star in a little skit.    I hope he gets all the free sopapillas he wants to eat.

Nettie watched the kiddos while T and I headed to Breckenridge for an anniversary get away.  Fourteen years baby.  Breckenridge is a little ski town about an hour and a half away.  It is gorgeous.  It reminds me of Park City but on a much smaller scale.  I was completely overdressed by the way, but that has been the norm for my Colorado adventure.  Why wouldn't I accessorize for a ski town?  I looked like Jackie Kennedy stuck at a lodge.  Is that a movie?  Anyway, we ate a delicious meal and then watched "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" on cable.  How is that for romance?





It feels a little like we are on an extended camping trip... the fancy camping though that involves flushing toilets and showers.  There is so much to discover here.  The ability to go from recreation to city life is unbelievable.  We are being well taken care of by neighbors, ward members and friends.  I am truly grateful for a Heavenly Father that has given me an opportunity to step outside of my comfort zone, but has also surrounded me with little angels that bring love, comfort, and generosity.  There are many angels I can actually see, but some I cannot see and simply know they are there.  I teach Relief Society in my new ward.  I gave the women a bookmark that said "You are a Daughter of Light. Be Shiny."  I am working on that.  I hope to be shiny enough that I can make each of you proud of what I am doing here in Denver.  Love to all, except the beavers.

No comments:

Post a Comment