Monday, February 15, 2010

New and Improved Peanut Butter Blossoms

I will tell you this right now...I am a sucker for peanut butter and chocolate! Anytime I have a choice of dessert, it usually involves both of those yummy and fattening ingredients! But if you're going to have a treat, you might as well ENJOY IT!!! You will definately enjoy these! I like this recipe because it uses butter and the recipe on the back of the Hershey's kiss bags have you use shortening, which is too much solid fat for me. (O.k., I know I just said I don't mind fattening, but atleast it makes me FEEL like I'm trying to be a little healthier!)
I made these at Valentine's and used Hershey's "extra creamy" milk chocolate hearts and they were sooo delicious! I also found they were easier to eat than with kisses on them, so look for them at Valentine's Day time!





1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar (plus additional to roll dough in)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Hershey's kisses (or hearts!)
Soften butter or bring to room temperature and cream with sugars. Add egg, vanilla, and peanut butter (don't forget my sister's hint and put plastic wrap in the measuring cup first to make life much easier!) Add dry ingredients. Roll into just over 1 inch balls and roll in a bowl with the extra sugar until barely covered and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 375 degrees. (The edges of the cookies will be just beginning to crack, if the middle is cracking, you've baked them too long!) As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, gently press the kiss or heart on the center. Let them cool until the chocolate has cooled through the soft phase (it takes a while, although we always get impatient and stick them in the fridge to finish cooling after a while because they look too good!) Enjoy!

Note: The original recipe tells you to cook them 8 minutes, put kisses on, then to cook for a couple more minutes. You can try that too if you find that the kiss falls off the cookies too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment